[VIDEO] Mike Rowe: Man-Babies and Starbucks ‘Shelters’

The unintended consequences of magnifying a virtue to a place it doesn't deserve to occupy will always come back to kick us in the throat.


Transcript: FOX News
>> Tucker: WELL, IF YOU LOOK CAREFULLY, YOU’LL SEE SUBTLE SIGNS OF DECAY THROUGHOUT OUR SOCIETY. STARBUCKS, ONE EXAMPLE, RECENTLY
ANNOUNCED GOING FORWARD ITS SEATS AND BATHROOMS WILL BE OPENED TO NONPAYING CUSTOMERS.THAT’S BAD NEWS IF YOU WANT TO
 BRING YOUR KIDS THERE. PRETTY GOOD NEWS IF YOU’RE A VAGRANT.
MEANWHILE IN NEW YORK A COUPLE HAD TO EVICT THEIR 30-YEAR-OLD SON FROM THEIR BASEMENT BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO MOVE OUT. MANY DEFENDED HIS DECISION TO LIVE THERE FOREVER. MIKE IS THE HOST OF THE TBN SHOW “SOMEBODY’S GOT TO DO IT.” LATEST SEASON OF THAT WILL DEBUT SOON. HE SPOKE TO US ABOUT THESE STORIES AND HOW THEY MAY BE CONNECTED. HERE IT IS.
>> JOINING US TONIGHT IS MIKE ROWE. GOOD TO SEE YOU, MIKE. THANK YOU.
HOW ARE YOU?
>> Tucker: CAN’T BE BETTER? STARBUCKS ANNOUNCING YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING TO LOUNGE AROUND ITS STORES OR USE THE BATHROOM. MEANWHILE, 30-YEAR-OLDS ARE SUING TO STAY IN THEIR PARENTS’ BASEMENTS. ARE THESE STORIES CONNECTED? DO THEY TELL US SOMETHING BIGGER ABOUT WHERE THE COUNTRY IS GOING?
>> Mike: DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA.
>> Tucker: EXACTLY.
>> Mike: LOOK, I PERSONALLY, I’M IN THE MIDST RIGHT NOW OF DOING WHAT I DO EVERY YEAR WHICH IS TRY AND GIVE AWAY WORK ETHIC SCHOLARSHIPS.
IT GETS HARDER EVERY YEAR, SO, UM —
>> Tucker: WAIT, WAIT IT GETS HARDER TO GIVE AWAY MONEY?
>> Mike: WE’VE GIVEN AWAY $5 MILLION OVER THE LAST FIVE YEARS, AND,
YES, EVERY YEAR, IT GETS INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO AFFIRMATIVELY REWARD WORK ETHIC. THERE’S SOME THINGS MY SCHOLARSHIP REQUIRES YOU TO DO
THAT OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS DON’T. YOU HAVE TO WRITE ESSAYS AND
MAKE VIDEOS SIGN A SWEAT PLEDGE. WHEN PEOPLE ARE OFTEN CONFRONTED
THROUGH THESE HOOPS IN WHICH I ASK THEM TO LEAP, THEY TAKE UMBRIDGE AT THAT.
I FIND IT FASCINATING. IT DOESN’T BOTHER ME SO MUCH BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THAT A VALUABLE THING IS ALMOST ALWAYS A THING THAT IS IN DEMAND AND WORK ETHIC IS VERY MUCH IN DEMAND, BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, WHY IS IT HARDER TO FIND IT? I THINK THAT PROBABLY DOES HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE EXPECTATIONS THAT HAVE EVOLVED OUT OF THE SAFE SPACE MOVEMENT WHICH YOU’VE DONE A LOT TO TALK ABOUT ON YOUR PROGRAM, AND I’M STARTING TO THINK THAT MAYBE THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN THE EXPECTATIONS A PATRON MIGHT HAVEAT A STARBUCKS VIS-A-VIS THE EXPECTATIONS A SQUATTER WHO JUST HAPPENS TO BE GENETICALLY TIED TO YOU MIGHT HAVE VIS-A-VIS THE BASEMENT IN WHICH HE CURRENTLY DWELLS, ETC., ETC. YOU KNOW, I MEAN, OF ALL THE DIVIDES IN THE COUNTRY, I THINK YOU COULD PROBABLY MAKE A PRETTY INTERESTING CASE THAT THERE’S A FISSURE RUNNING THROUGH THE EXPECTATION OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE ELEVATE SAFETY AND FEELINGS TO A LEVEL OF PRIMACY. I THINK IT CREATES A REAL DISCONNECT THAT PEOPLE ARE STRUGGLING TO PARSE.
>> Tucker: WAIT A SECOND! ARE YOU SAYING SAFETY ISN’T THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER?
>> Mike: I’M SAYING THAT EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO HOME SAFE AT THE END OF THE DAY. SAFETY ALWAYS WOULD BE A DELIGHTFUL BROMIDE A DELIGHTFUL FLATTUDE.
SAFETY FIRST IS THE STUFF OF IDIOCY. IT ALLOWS US TO BEGIN TO BELIEVE
THAT SOMEONE OTHER THAN US MIGHT CARE MORE ABOUT OUR WELL-BEING
THAN WE DO, AND THE MINUTE WE BUY INTO THAT NONSENSE, THEN WE EMBRACE THE WARM GRIP OF COMPLACENCY. SO, NO, SAFETY IS NOT THE ENEMY,
BUT IF YOU MAKE IT THE PRIORITY, THEN LET’S JUST WRAP OURSELVES IN BUBBLE PACK AND DRIVE AT SPEEDS APPROACHING 5 MILES PER HOUR AND NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING
THAT COULD EVER BE CONFUSED WITH RISK.
>> Tucker: THAT IS REALLY DEEP! WHEN YOU SAY SAFETY FIRST, YOU’RE ASSUMING — NO — I’M SERIOUS. THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY UNARTICULATED ASSUMPTIONS THAT
GOVERNOR OUR SOCIETY AND NO ONE EVER EXAMINES THEM IN THE LIGHT OF DAY.
YOU JUST DID. WHEN YOU SAY SAFETY FIRST, ARE ASSUMING SOMEONE OUT THERE CARES MORE ABOUT YOUR WELL-BEING THAN YOU — YOU ASSUME THAT SOMEONE
OUT THERE CARES MORE ABOUT YOUR WELL-BEING THAN YOU DO?
>> Mike: YEAH, ON “DIRTY JOBS” MY CREW AND I SAT THROUGH OVER 100
MANDATORY BRIEFINGS. THROUGH THE FIRST COUPLE OF SEASONS, THEY WERE VERY EFFECTIVE, BECAUSE WE LISTENED LIKE THIS. WE WERE VERY CONCERNED.
WE WERE IN A DANGEROUS, HOSTILE, UNKNOWN ENVIRONMENT.
BUT OVER TIME, THE BIG SAFETY FIRST PLAQARTS AND THE MANDATORY BOXES YOU HAVE TO CHECK AND THE LOCK IN AND LOCK OUT PROCEDURES, THOSE THINGS TURN INTO THE TEACHER IN CHARLIE BROWN. WAH-WAH-WAH. YOU STOP LISTENING.
THE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF TELLING YOU NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR SAFETY IS THE VERY DYNAMIC THAT HAS PEOPLE WALK ACROSS FIFTH AVENUE WHEN THE LITTLE MAN SAYS WALK INSTEAD OF LOOKING BOTH WAYS.IT’S NOT A COINCIDENCE THE MOST DANGEROUS INTERSECTIONS IN THE WORLD ARE INTERSECTION THAT HAS HAVE SIGNS TO TELL WHEN YOU TO WALK. AGAIN, WE’VE TALKED ABOUT THIS WITH THE MINIMUM WAGE, WE’VE TALKED ABOUT IT WITH A LOT OF
DIFFERENT THINGS BUT THE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES OF MAGNIFYING A VIRTUE TO A PLACE IT DOESN’T DESERVE TO OCCUPY WILL ALWAYS COME BACK TO KICK US IN THE THROAT.
>> Tucker: REALLY DEEP. SO ARE THERE SAFETY BRIEFINGS ON YOUR NEWS SHOW? YOU HAVE ONE OF THE BIGGEST DIGITAL SHOWS THAT’S EVER BEEN. HOW MUCH SAFETY IS IN THAT SHOW?
>> Mike: WELL, SAFETY, LIKE I SAID, IS ALWAYS PRESENT IN EVERYTHING I’VE DONE.
DIRTNY JOBS, SOMEBODY OTHERS THAT DO IT. RETURNING THE FAVOR. WE ALWAYS FOCUS ON GOING HOME IN ONE PIECE, BUT PART OF DOING THAT IN MY WORLD IS TO SAY SAFETY THIRD. NOW, THAT’S CONTROVERSIAL. THAT MAKES PEOPLE GO, WHAT ARE
YOU TALKING ABOUT? WHAT’S MORE IMPORTANT THAN SAFETY? NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU’RE HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WILL ULTIMATELY REDOWNED TO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. SAFETY THIRD IS JUST A WAY OF CUTTING THROUGH THE WARM MILK AND THE SOFT TISSUE THAT MAKES EVERYBODY COMFORTABLE WHEN I SAY EVERYBODY, I MEAN ACTUARIAL ACCOUNTANTS, HAD C AND INSURANCE ADJUSTERS. YOU’VE DONE IT. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU GONE ON A PLANE AND BEEN TOLD BY THE PILOTS THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET YOU HOME IN ONE PIECE. JUST ONCE I’D LIKE THE PILOT TO SAY, LOOK, SIT BACK AND RELAX BECAUSE I LOVE MY WIFE, KIDS AND DAUGHTERS, I WANT TO GET HOME IN ONE PIECE. STRAP YOURSELF IN AND ENJOY THE RIDE. YOU’VE NEVER BEEN IN BETTER HANDS, ADIOS.
>> Tucker: — ADIOS.
>> Tucker: WHEN THE PLANE GOES DOWN, PRAYER IS ALL YOU’VE GOT.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply